Little Emily is 3 weeks old today! This means I am 3 weeks late in telling about her arrival. I think it is ok because she decided to be one week late in arriving anyway.
Sunday night Pat and I finally went to see the movie Bridesmaids and shortly beforehand I started having irregular contractions. He downloaded an app on his Ipod for timing contractions (seriously!) and I would poke him in the movie theatre every time one started and stopped. By the end of the movie we were about 80% sure I was in labor. So, we headed back to my in-laws house to decide whether or not to take Lillian home with us. Contractions got increasingly worse while we were there so we opted to let her have a sleepover with Grandma and head home to wait for the right time to go to the hospital. This, of course, had to be after midnight to get our 2 whole nights there. Around 11:30 contractions were getting more difficult and Pat begged me to call the hospital so I did. I still held out though and refused to leave before midnight. We ended up getting to the hospital at 1:10. After an intense hour there the doctor recommended breaking my water and "getting this party started" as she put it. Within 15 minutes I dilated from 6 cm to 10 cm. After roughly 15 minutes of pushing, Emily James made her appearance. Thankfully it went very fast as this labor and delivery was much more intense than I remember with Lillian.
We were shocked it was a girl! Both Pat and I were convinced we had a baby boy on the way. We were so excited to finally see her and hold her. After they laid her on my chest I was only able to give her a quick kiss before they had to cut the cord and suction out her lungs. Thankfully she is 100% healthy and relatively average size for being one week late.
Lillian was the first one to meet Emily and she was so excited and proud to have a baby sister. So far she has been great with her and exhibits little jealousy which was a very pleasant surprise.
Emily enjoys eating! She was back up to her birth weight just 2 days after being released from the hospital. She loves snuggling and cat naps. She often wakes up in the night just to be held. We love her so much and she is a very happy addition to the Thuente family. Having a little sister is something I always wished I had. I am so happy to have two beautiful girls who I know will be best friends forever.


No comments:
Post a Comment